STRATTERA SIDE EFFECTS
Strattera Side Effects
what are possible side effects of
Like with any other medication,
Strattera treatment may have side effects. They can be subdivided into
two categories: rather common but not serious, and less common but more
serious. In addition, we may also mention sexual side effects of
Strattera, some of them are rather common while the others are quite
COMMONLY REPORTED SIDE EFFECTS OF STRATTERA
Commonly reported side effects of
- dry mouth (up to 1/5 of all patients may experience
- stomach pain (among up to 1/5 of all patients);
- insomnia (every 7 patients in a hundred may suffer
- nausea and vomiting (among about every 8 patients in
- loss of appetite (every 7 or 8 patients in a hundred);
- cough (about 1/10 of all patients);
- constipation (about 1/ 10 of all patients);
- bladder (urinary tract) problems (among about every 8
patients in a hundred);
- tiredness or drowsiness (among about every 8 patients
in a hundred);
- painful menstrual cramps (among up to 7 per cent of
- erectile dysfunction, or impotence (among up to 7 per
cent of treated men);
- a decreased sex drive, or libido (among up to 5
patients in a hundred);
- dizziness (up to 6 per cent of patients);
- sinus infection (up to 6 per cent of patients).
Also there are some other quite rare and not too serious side effects
of Strattera. They may be experienced by about 2 to 5 per cent of
patients and include: sudden mood swings, low mood or crying, strange
dreams, diarrhea, gas or abdominal swelling, sweating, muscle pain,
menstrual problems (in women).
By the way, loss of appetite in some patients has made Strattera an
off-label medication that helps to fight obesity. It is not approved
for that kind of usage, but in some cases it may work, though, of
course, you should ask your healthcare provider for details beforehand.
The matter is that loss of appetite does not necessarily lead to loss
of weight, which is reported in only 2 per cent of patients (both
children and adults). And besides, if some weight loss is observed in
children, it may be negative for growing. If your child is being
treated with Strattera and an excessive weight loss is obvious, you
should consult with your physician at once.
MORE SERIOUS STRATTERA SIDE EFFECTS
These side effects are less common, but
in case they occur, you should better immediately ask your physician
for help and advice. They include:
- dizziness, or fainting;
- confusion, extreme agitation, or abnormal behavior;
- a painful and prolonged erection of the penis;
- heart beat, chest pain and / or tightness;
- breath problems;
- yellow eyes or skin, unusually dark urine, and pain
in the right side (all these may be signs of liver damage);
- allergic reactions (skin rash, itching, hives,
swelling, breath broblems).
And, of course, the notorious suicidal thoughts among children and
teens treated with Strattera, though recent studies have proved that
only 0.4 per cent of young patients may experience them.
ARE SIDE EFFECTS INEVITABLE WITH STRATTERA?
As you may have noticed, only a minor
part of patients experience something strange or unpleasant while
taking Strattera. It all depends on the physical condition and
individual features of the patient's system, whether he or she will
suffer from any adverse effects of Strattera treatment. Some patients
feel nothing bad or strange at all, or their feelings are just a little
bit different from usual. Others respond dramatically. Unfortunately,
the reaction of an individual is inpredictable until one starts
treatment. So, one may be recommended to pay attention to he or she
feels during treatment, and to any change in his or her condition. If
you are uncertain that Strattera does good for you, you should consult
with your doctor again. Also, in order not to worsen Strattera adverse
effects, one should not exceed the recommended Strattera dosage, or take the
medication improperly (e.g. snorting
ARE THEY REALLY STRATTERA SIDE EFFECTS?
In case you experience something
unpleasant during treatment with Strattera, you should make sure that
it is really due to using Strattera, not because of something else!
Sometimes it may just be a coincidence, and Strattera is not the point.
Really, did someone's diarrhea start after a capsule of Strattera had
been taken, or after a gorgeous dinner in the local restaurant? One
should not confuse one's indisposition with Strattera side effects